Thursday, August 21, 2008

Life Imitating Art?

From NYT:

New Guidelines Would Give F.B.I. Broader Powers

A Justice Department plan would loosen restrictions on the Federal Bureau of Investigation to allow agents to open a national security or criminal investigation against someone without any clear basis for suspicion, Democratic lawmakers briefed on the details said Wednesday.

The plan, which could be made public next month, has already generated intense interest and speculation. Little is known about its precise language, but civil liberties advocates say they fear it could give the government even broader license to open terrorism investigations...

Michael German, a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union and a former F.B.I. agent, said the plan appeared to open the door still further to the use of data-mining profiles in tracking terrorism.

This seems to be based on the idea that the government can take a bunch of data and create a profile that can be used to identify future bad guys,” he said. “But that has not been demonstrated to be true anywhere else.”

Sound familiar?

1 comment:

Lou Antonelli said...

Considering the kinds of searches I do on the web for my s-f writing, I'm surprised the guys in dark suits haven't knocked on my door yet! Next time you visit my blog, go to my archived fiction and read "Silence is Golden" and you'll see what I mean.

Oh, hi, Josh! Thanks for visiting my blog.

Lou A.